Friday, July 09, 2004

Funny that...

Two police "panda" cars were parked up the top of the road for most of yesterday, in the bus turning area. This is such an unusual sight that it had most of the village (of the urban type) commenting on it. Is it a coincidence.

Meanwhile, a bundle of post arrived today, redirected from Armley Prison, including a delightful letter from an old-aged pensioner enclosing a fiver so that I could phone my wife from jail. I'm touched.

Also in the post was a letter from DVLA demanding an £80 fine for not taxing my car. Rather ironic that. I had all the papers in my pocket when I went down to Bradford last week.

After popping into the Court to sort out the minor problem with the Council Tax, I had intended to go to the main post office to get the tax, but somehow ended up in the nick - and haven't had a chance to sort it since.

I am now going to enjoy all the moralists tell me that it's all my own fault, but once again I seem to have a unique talent for falling foul of the system.

The car was due to be taxed on 1 May but, with my new day job and working from home, I wasn't using the car at all - didn't drive it for three weeks so I didn't notice. Woops... rush to get all the documents and find the MoT out of date.

That's easy... book an MoT with the garage, but the car has injector problems so it disappears for two weeks while they wait for parts from Germany.

Get the car back, eventually, and go rushing to the local post office with all the documents and the money, but they can't give me a back-dated tax disc and won't take my money.

I have to apply to the main post office in town. Hence all the documents in my pocket when I get sent down. So, a fine comes winging its way from DVLA.

Life is too short for all this crap.

3 Comments:

At 5:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have recently recieved an invitation to pay a large amount of cash towads the government coffers for a vehicle that has been off road since I collected it (with a blown head gasket - un drivable) from my ex wife who had stopped paying for it (because it was broken down) At the point I took "ownership" of the car I had no documentation including MoT so couldn't declare SORN (or even know if the tax had expired) I recieved no notice from the DVLA to tax my vehicle because, presumably I wasn't the registered keeper when the licence expired, whenever that was...

Despite explaining all this in great length, in writing I recieved a letter today explaining what I had to pay by way of "an out of court settlement" an extra £113 on top of the original "fine" of £80

To add insult to injury they threaten an additional £1000 fine if I don't pay by the 1st of January and "installments are not acceptable"

I wonder occasionally how this stuff become law in the first place, at least working in Leeds every day may give me the opportunity to speak in person to the DVLA "enforcers" but I don't hold out much hope, perhaps we'll meet in Armley someday....

 
At 4:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you could learn alot from the "moralists". Rarely have I encountered such a good example of someone who really should not be behind the wheel. Your life seems a never ending mess of your own creation. Either obey the laws of the road, or give up driving. Alternatively you could take your continuous punishments without moaning about them incessantly.

 
At 7:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey shame about the spam comments, i just got a letter from thre dvla sayin they'll accept £230 outof court cause i got stopped with no tax disc the day after the car failed the mot test, was on the way to a garage, i was out in france for the time the car was sorn so not sure what to do a bout this shit :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home